Saturday, August 23, 2008

Obama/Biden: Bonafide Ticket--Or Potential Car Dealership?

I'm kinda middle-of-the-road when it comes to politics. Since it's part of my job to cover politics; I can't be very "opinionated," nor have I ever been one to be an "activist."

But the Obama campaign fascinates me. Twenty years ago; Barack Obama would have been laughed at and reduced to eighth on the speaker's list at the Democratic National Convention...if he could get in the building. Now; Obama is poised to possibly become President. I've met him. Nice guy. But there's a certain something about him that tells me he doesn't take crap from anyone. He appears to be a very smart man. He also seems well-equipped to handle the flak he's received and the mini-scandals he's weathered, so far. No doubt the muckraking will escalate after mid-September.

Last night; Obama chose Delaware Senator Joe Biden as his VP running mate. The short list included Indiana Senator Evan Bayh, Virginia Governor Tim Kaine, Connecticut Independent Senator Joe Lieberman (A former VP candidate himself), Illinois Senator Dick Durbin and a few others. Obama made a wise choice. Here's why:

Some will say Biden puts his foot in his mouth. But he's a great communicator; completely at ease--whether he's in a committee meeting or on Fox News Sunday. He is unafraid to shoot from the hip. He is also a major player in U-S foreign policy on Capitol Hill; an issue which could determine who gets elected. Biden is an unabashed opponent of anything Republican, especially George W. Bush. He wasn't too kind to Bush I, either. Biden said the things other Democrats--and, in the end, most Republicans on the Hill--were afraid to say. And he was usually right.

Biden ran for President in 1988. Had his campaign been better organized; he might have made a better showing. And the Biden that ran back then is not the same Biden that's on the ticket, now. It's the old saying about "I wish I were 35 again and know what I know now..."

Biden is now 65; one of the longest-serving members of Congress on either side of the building. He was an-unheard-of 29 when first elected to The Senate in 1972. Delaware is one of the smallest states; not much ground to cover. But Biden has become one of the most powerful lawmakers ever. He seems adept at getting people to side with him with little effort. He has fantastic connections. But he's also not as centrist as Obama, which the Obama campaign probably hopes will completely unbalance anything the GOP throws at it.

But the biggest reason Biden is a good VP choice? If something happens to Obama, it's a good bet Biden would be unafraid to run the nation. I'm not so sure if the others could do the same. Second biggest reason? Obama/Biden has a nice ring to it.

We'll all continue to watch this unfold. I won't speculate who will win. But I've seen a lot worse tickets in my lifetime than Barack Obama/Joe Biden. Wish them luck. They'll need it.

No comments: